Die-Screaming interviews Steven Hirsch
For those that don’t know, Steven Hirsch is the head of Vivid Entertainment, and arguably the most powerful and influential man in the adult entertainment industry. Vivid Entertainment ranks among the largest and most successful porn studios in the world and Steven Hirsch, who formed Vivid back in 1984, is widely credited as a hugely transformational force in the world of porn. No stranger to controversy, Hirsch frequently makes headlines for his aggressive pursuit of celebrity porn, paying top dollar and waging war in the courts for rights to scandalous sex tapes and making multimillion dollar offers to other celebrities to make porn videos for Vivid.
Steven Hirsch has also overseen the creation of Vivid’s SuperXXXHeroes, a division of Vivid Entertainment that specializes in making porn parodies of some of the biggest franchises in the world of comic books and Sci-Fi. With hugely popular and critically acclaimed titles such as Batman XXX and Spider-Man XXX, as well as what is possibly the most anticipated porn film of all time, Star Wars XXX, Vivid has become a leader in the genre of comic book porn parodies. In this week leading up to the 2012 AVN Awards (Vivid has been nominated for 98 AVN Awards, with Steven Hirsch set to receive the very first AVN Visionary Award), I had the opportunity to ask Mr. Hirsh a few questions. Here’s how that went…
1. Vivid has invested in creating Vivid SuperXXXHeroes, a division of the company that focuses on making parodies of some of the biggest comic book and movie franchises. Do you think that this genre of porn films is one that has lasting power, or do you see it as more of a fad?
I think the genre definitely has lasting power and there are so many titles and fascinating characters for us to explore. We’ll continue making these movies because the results are so positive.
2. The feedback that I’ve received from readers of my blog seems to indicate that Star Wars XXX is going to be a really huge success for Vivid. I know it’s early yet, but are there any plans to parody the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi films?
Absolutely! Scripts are being written right now and these movies will be on our schedule.
3. Speaking of franchises, Spider-Man XXX represented one of the most successful and critically acclaimed of Vivid’s films this year. Considering the vast amount of source material, and fan interest, in properties like Spider-Man and Batman, are there plans to expand on the porn parody franchises of these characters?
We gauge interest based on sales and plan on doing sequels to all of our best-sellers.
4. Aside from Star Wars XXX, what are some other big projects that Vivid has lined up for 2012?
5. I think everyone agrees that online piracy has done some major damage to the porn industry. That being said, what’s your opinion on the much-debated SOPA legislation that has the Internet in an uproar?
This is tricky. We all want freedom on the internet, but there has to be some way to keep piracy in check. There needs to be some solution or there will be no more dollars to produce content.
Empire Strikes Back XXX and Return of the Jedi XXX? While not at all unexpected, this is the first time that we’re hearing of these projects, and the fact that the scripts are already being written would seem to indicate that Vivid will be going full-speed ahead with a complete line of Star Wars themed porn films. And with Star Wars XXX setting the pre-order charts on fire, who can blame Vivid? For all the latest information on Vivid’s upcoming porn parodies, including Avengers XXX, Star Wars XXX, and X-Men XXX, be sure to keep it tuned to this website.